Going forward.... and back

I'm trying really hard to get back on the horse with blogging. Not only I am trying to go forward, but I am trying to go backwards at the same time. My pictures are always dated, so I am going to try to post the appropriate days backward. It may not have all the fun quips the kids says, but it will be recorded. This blog is for my kids. I want them to have these memories. So, I am going to try to tell them about my childhood, and theirs too! I will have "Memory Monday" where I will write about my childhood. "Throwback Thursday" will be about things that were popular or in style when I was growing up. Dare I say, I actually had an idea for Wednesdays, but I already forgot it? I guess it's good that I am writing things down.

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

When Did I lose my "cool"?

So, this week was kind of a reality check for me.  Last Friday the kids came home and in Julia's folder was the date for when they are showing the "video" at school.  You know, the health "education" video?  (I don't want to type it, for fear of who it would draw to the blog from searches) Anyways, I have not previewed it.  I mentioned I might want to go on the day they show it, and she was not okay with that.  It was in that instant that I felt I had lost my "cool" factor.  She told me it would be awkward.  I excused myself up to my room and sulked a little.  Racking my brain wondering why she thought it was awkward.  I mean, granted, I would be MORTIFIED if my mother did that.  But I was COOL, right?  She knew I was hurt too, and went to bed that night sulking.  I asked her why she was sad, and she said she was sorry, I could come if I wanted to.  I declined politely, (though I didn't want to) but told her that regardless of the awkward-ness of it all, her and I were going to have a talk about it, and that there were some things that I needed her to know about it, that the video may not include.  That there are things that God says about it, that school does not.  Ugh.  This is soo happening too soon.  When did she become so young lady?  I am soo.... OLD.

The next day Connor was playing his iTouch.  He is currently playing a game where you hatch dragon eggs, and build a village, harvest plants, etc.  He showed it to me, and asked me to play it, so I could "friend" him on the game.  So, I did, and frequently throughout the day he would check on my progress, to see how I was doing.  Now, normally when Connor talks video game to me, it sounds like this: "Hey, mom!  Wah wah wah wah wah Pokemon, wah wah wah wah wah Pikachu, wah wah wah wah."  I don't understand a WORD of what he is talking about.  I hear the character names, and understand NOTHING.  So, here I am playing a game, I understand and my son is totaly excited about it.  So, what do I do?  I BUY the jewels and food, to get myself further than him. So, that he will THINK I am REALLY COOL.  Did it work, yes.  For a second.  Until he figured out I did it.  Then He wanted me to buy him some.  But, I know he is still so excited to have me playing with him.  And I loves he keeping checking on me.  Maybe I'll stay cool to him for just a little bit longer. 

No comments: